Monday, October 10, 2011

Mark's Notes - 2

Just thought i would add a section to my Blog where I will post some of my notes to my students here at VANarts. These are some notes that are for a term 1 Story assignment where the students try to tell their 'story' with one silhouette pose. We are always searching for that as animators. A strong clear pose that has a good silhouette.

I ask them to think of creating this assignment as though they are drawing only one image for a children's book.
Be very clear with the pose, pushing the attitude { the emotional state } of the pose so that it reads as clear as possible. If it is a physical action, look for a strong pose that explains the action, the motion involved. 
And of course, look for a strong silhouette as it will make the pose be easier to understand, having the whole body be apart of the story you are trying to tell.

There are many ways to tell the story with the one drawing. 
I try to take the students original idea and work with it 
{ instead of just doing what I would do. }
I look at what the student is wanting to tell from their poses, what the story is, and then i try to add any quick positive constructive notes from there.



Below are notes over the students work of someone 'accusing' someone else:
  










Below are notes over the students work of someone being chased :












1 comment:

JK Riki said...

That's really helpful stuff. Nothing quite makes it clear as a bell for me than seeing something redone in an even better way, so thanks for these! I hope to see more in the future. Hint hint? :)