Monday, February 23, 2009

INSPIRATION 4 - Coroline 3D > thoughts


This movie sold me on 3D.

For the most part, it was not pushed in your face { literally } ... and quite often it was used for subtle compositions with the layouts.

I really thought it was successful showing that it can be used in more subtle ways to create atmosphere within the shots.

I would positively say that this new version of 3D certainly DOES enhance the viewing process making it become a more 'special' experience for the audience.

I think this movie stood out more to me, more than other recent films, as the filmmaker created more moments of slower movements within the scenes.
There were longer shots, letting us take in the scene. We were able to have enough time to take in the layouts, the compositions... for longer lengths allowing us to get into the shot.

It almost, at times reminded me of looking into an old 'viewmaster ' being able to really see the 3D effect.

Look forward to more of this, when used in this way, it can really add to the director's vision.

3 comments:

Sandy Sze said...

Such an amazing movie!! A++ I will go watch it again in the theatre. Did you take your kids to go watch it? though I must say, it's pretty dark for small kids... not sure if i could enjoy it this much if i was 7 :P

mark pudleiner said...

Yes, took the kids.
My younger son's first words as leaving the theater were " Well, that was sort of eerie ".

As we talked, the one girl ghost { the one with the 'scream' mouth } sort of bothered him.
A bit scary design.

I really liked the design work on this film. But it did have a mature feel to it.

The one part that stood out to them { scary } was when the door was chasing them in the tunnel ...as Coroline was making her way back to the real world.
It was intense for them.

David said...

I completely agree with you this , Mark.

"Coraline" was the most tasteful use of 3D I've seen yet. The 3D enhanced the movie but didn't feel gimmicky (no overbearing "Comin' AT YOU!" in-your-face type of shots) .

To me there are still issues with how the 3D changes my perception of the pacing and cutting between shots ... for me there was still occasionally some disorientation when cutting to a new scene, a momentary need to readjust my eyes . I was never totally unaware of the glasses , but maybe that's just me. It certainly did not have any of the headache-inducing eye strain of some 3D movies I've seen.

I only noticed it because I actually saw Coraline the first time in conventional "2D" projection, then saw it again in 3D . I liked it just a bit more in conventional projection , but the 3D was the best use of it I've seen to date. I don't really know the technical ins-and-outs of the process but I wonder if puppet stop-motion films with real sets just naturally take advantage of the 3D photography process more since they are in fact true 3D objects on real sets with real depth , not a computer simulation of 3D ?

Exciting times.